Saturday, July 23, 2005

Advice is for listening

" Just write in to any companies. In fact, write in to all the possible companies that you think you can work with. Don't worry about anything like your results. It is all up to those who look at your resume to decide if they want to use you. if they think you are good enough, they will employ you. Right now, they will only look at your qualification and results. After a few years, it is experience that counts. "

That is what I told a friend when she asked for my advice.

A few weeks back, a not-really-close friend called me to ask for some advice regarding her results. I was suprised because I really don't know her well at all. In fact, we don't even talk to each other before. So, you can see how surprised i was. I told her about what I did and I guess that is that best I can do since I don't really know anything much. She called back to tell me that she did what I told her and she got what she wanted. I was happy for her.
A few days ago, she called me again to ask me about something else. I, again, don't really know much so I don't think I help in any way.

A few nights ago, a different friend called me to ask me for my advice on job-hunting. Quoted above is the condensed version of what I have told her.

Natural instinct is that when one ask for advice, one will follow the advice. I never really thought about the person who give the advice. How will this person feel if this person finds out that his or her advice is not being followed? Nothing much I guess. Maybe I am wrong...

Today,

gohyie: good morning, andy chia & co.
caller: good morning. My name is XX (name is not included to prevent any legal actions..haha). I am a fresh graduate and i would like to ask if there is any vacancies in your company...
gohyie: XX! It's me. Sorry le. I dont know who to pass you to know if there is any vacancies. The receptionist is not around so I really dont know. Why dont you just write in?
caller..XX: Oh! i see...I have been calling a lot of companies for the whole morning. none of them have vacancies. how come you are the receptionist?
gohyie: oh...why not u just write in? they will call you when they have vacancies. i am just helping out at the front desk. why not i give you the mailing address of this company so that you can write in?
XX: ok...sure
gohyie: it is ......(address)...
XX: oh..thanks...i will call back later to ask the receptionist, yeah?
gohyie: sure..no problem...

Makes me wonder if she heard the advice I told her.
A few minutes later,

gohyie: good morning, andy chia & co.
XX: goo...
gohyie: STOP! wait... i will get the receptionist for you. just give me a second.
Receptionist: good morning. yes, how may i help you? ...bla bla bla...(basically telling her to write in)...

This makes me wonder...have I wasted all my saliva telling all those things to her for nothing? She needs someone else to tell her off? Hey, I should be a someone else too...

No comments: