Saturday, December 17, 2005

3R campaign

This morning, the residents of Bumiko (and possibly from other residential areas) participated in a 3R campaign organized by Miri City's MBM (Majlis Bandaraya Miri).

For every kilograms or pieces of bottle you sell, you can choose from the range of mineral water, soft drink, toilet paper, and rice that will equal the amount of things you have just sold.

I sold four boxes of books and useless paper and got one soft drink and one whole package of toilet paper.

while i was carrying my boxes of books, I saw how much other people are bringing to the 3R site to recycle and wonder if they have deliberately keep all those things just to be recycled today.
For example, one family brought big bags of tins...Milo tin, Nestum tins and etc...No normal family can drink that much drinks and happen to recycle it all at once unless they have been keeping it for quite some time to recycle it or dispose it.

Which leads me to the point that people will only recycle if it means money for them. no money? then I will keep the cans and newspaper till I get money for it. The colourful shades located a tseveral areas in the city is, to my opinion, no longer contains the colourful bins for recycling things but normal bins to throw rubbish. Why? Because no one throw the recycle things in them. They throw real rubbish, non-recycleable things.

Even my family is like this. I just sold glass bottles and some old metal and got RM50.30 for all those. The glass bottles is around 300 pieces...which is like about RM30...ten cents each...my extra income le..

Want people to recycle? Do more of this 3R campaign and pay people for their effort of collecting all those recyclable things. Do it at the time when festivals are around the corner. People cant wait to get rid of those things just to make their homes look nicer and cleaner.

No comments: